Move-Aways and Parental Relocation: North Shore, Massachusetts, Attorney


In order to ensure you are in compliance with the terms of your divorce settlement, it's necessary to petition the court for a post-divorce modification if you decide to relocate. Regardless of whether you decide to move in or out of Massachusetts, a parental relocation will impact child custody and visitation arrangements.

As a result, the court will need to review the existing child custody and visitation schedule in order to ensure each parent's rights are maintained and protected. At the law office of Annette L. Baker & Associates, we work closely with parents who are relocating in the preparation and filing of post-divorce modifications. Relocation is an inherently difficult issue, even for the courts, so experienced legal counsel is essential to ensure complications are kept to a minimum.

If you need to move due to a job opportunity or desire to relocate, contact family law attorney Annette L. Baker today to schedule an appointment and learn how we can help you.

How a Parental Relocation can Impact Child Custody

When one or both parents move away, the court has an interest in reviewing any existing child custody arrangement involved. Especially in cases where one parent moves out of state, the ability to comply with visitation and vacation schedules will be effected. As a result, it may be necessary to adjust the amount of time allotted for vacation, as well as any schedules in shared or joint custody arrangements. Working with an attorney can ensure your parental rights are protected and enforced should you or your ex-spouse relocate.

Why Verbal Agreements are not a Good Idea

In some cases, parents may be tempted to reach an informal oral agreement regarding changes in custody arrangements when a parent relocates a few towns or miles up the road. While doing so may seem easier, it's a risky gambit that could come back to hurt everyone involved. First, an oral agreement between parents is not a legally enforceable - or binding - agreement. Secondly, even if you and your ex-spouse get along, that could change, leaving you at the mercy of him or her should he or she decide to ignore your informal oral agreement.

Lastly, if you're forced to go to court on an enforcement issue, the judge could penalize you and your ex-spouse once he or she finds out you've decided to ignore a legally binding child custody court order. For these reasons, it's essential that you petition the court for a modification in cases involving parental relocation.

Contact Child Custody Lawyer Annette L. Baker Today

If you or your ex-spouse is relocating, contact child custody attorney Annette L. Baker today to learn more about what needs to be done to assert and protect your parental rights. Our office can review your case, prepare all necessary information, and file required court documents. Avoid unnecessary legal complications - call or email our office today.