How do you get a child support order in Massachusetts?

How do you get a child support order in Massachusetts?

On Behalf of | Feb 4, 2020 | Firm News |

If you are going through a divorce or have recently been through one in Massachusetts and you have been awarded custody of your children, you may believe you need to get child support payments from the other spouse. If you want to do this, there is a specific process to follow when you are going through a divorce. 

According to the Massachusetts government website, if you are seeking child support from a parent you are not married to, you must first prove paternity either by getting both parents to acknowledge it in writing or by getting a judgment from the court. Once paternity has been proven, you can file a “Complaint for Child Support” form. 

What to do when seeking child support in a divorce 

Filing a claim requesting child support is easier if you are in the process of getting a divorce. You just need to include the claim with your divorce paperwork. Keep in mind that the cost of filing, in addition to the summons and surcharge, will typically be $120. 

When you provide the paperwork, if you both have moved from the county where you last lived together, you must provide the court the name of the county where one of you currently lives. If one or both of you still live in the same county where you were last living together, then that is the county you must tell the court. 

When you file your complaint, you must do so at your local county Family Court. Once you have submitted the paperwork, if everything was done properly, a hearing will be scheduled.